The DLW diner that was bought just before the diner preservation group could
bid on it, will be part of Train 2 for the 2002 season on the American Orient
Express (AOE).  I don't know if it will be labeled Phoebe Snow, but I put in
the suggestion.

The AOE runs a national parks special in spring and fall that overnights in
Helena, Montana (just in back of my home), before heading to Idaho Falls, ID
and the Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks.  It is not on the map,
but it is in their brochure.  If last summer's practice holds true, former EL
#3657 now MRL #332 would be one of the helpers or locomotives for this and
other Montana Rail Link (MRL)-powered passenger trains. (Paul should take his
wife on another honeymoon to see what it looks like this far south, and see
the Gates of the Mountains this time.)

The TRAINS article lists the expensive rides. There are shorter rides for day
or weekend trips behind the former EL/NYSW lash-ups of MRL for less.  A ride
from Missoula to Livingston with a noon stop in Helena is under $200 round
trip, and last year it was behind a former EL SDP45 and a former NYSW F45.
Actually, from Helena to Livingston with snacks and breakfast on the train,
and room in Livingston was $99 round trip-leave Saturday, return Sunday.  The
5-car train has four domes.  For the overnight in Livingston, there is a
railroad museum in the old NP station, complete with HO-scale layout, and
until about 10 PM you can watch trains or fish in the Yellowstone River,
before having a home-fashioned meal at The Beanery (former NP station
restaurant), complete with homemade pie and ice cream.  Or you can drive down
to Yellowstone National Park, but you'd miss the trains. There is a good
commentary, and the trains slow for wildlife and freight train photos.  And
sometimes they include comments about where the equipment came from,
including the locomotives. If you come, bring some rain to watch the double
and triple rainbows quite common around Three Forks to Bozeman and Helena.

I have no financial connection to any of the above, but it is a great way to
see the rails and the countryside, possibly in or behind some former EL
equipment.

Howard Haines
ELHS #1447
Helena, MT