Re: (erielack) Boonton Line passenger service?

Dear Paul and Group,

I can't imagine what might have run via Boonton in 1968; most of the
passenger trains that operated beyond commuter territory (including
short hops to Scranton like the Pocono Express) were gone by then.
Perhaps your friend is referring to the end of passenger service to
Washington on the Old Main?

The April 1966 timetable still shows westbound #15 (The Owl, daily
except Sat., departing Hoboken 12:15 AM) and #17 (Sat. only, departing
Hoboken 11:35 PM); first stop for these trains was East Stroudsburg, so
they could have operated via Boonton, I suppose.  Eastbound, #10 (The
New York Mail, daily except Sunday) made its last NJ stop at Dover at
2:38 AM; again, it could have operated via Boonton, but I doubt it.

As for the pre-merger DL&W, here is a caption from page 81 of
Sweetland's Lackawanna Railroad in Color:

Daily except Sunday train #47 operated from Hoboken to Binghamton, N.Y.
Leaving Hoboken at 7:15 AM, it was the only train going to Binghamton
that ran via the Boonton Line to pick up mail and passengers.  Arriving
at Blairstown, N.J., at about 9:20 AM, it handled all of the morning
mail and express for town.  ...

Cheers,
Alan <quahog_@_sprint.ca>