Re: (erielack) Mars Lights (was re: OEM Horns)

Dear Group,

A discussion on Mars Lights, "bullseye" lights and headlight visors came
up awhile back (I remember it well, because I originated it).  I'll try
to summarize the results of that discussion as best I can:

All eleven of the DL&W E8s were delivered with Mars lights in the upper
headlight casing.  The lower headlight (mounted in the nose door) was
the normal operating headlight.  The Mars assembly included both a white
and a red (emergency indicator) bulb.  Nickel Plate and ATSF/D&H PAs
were similarly equipped.

The Mars light (white bulb only) was activated when the train passed
through stations, grade crossings, yards, or other places where
additional attention was desirable.  The Mark I Phoebe Snow video shows
the Mars light operating as the E8-powered Phoebe Snow departs Hoboken.

The DL&W passenger F3s and at least some of the steam locomotives used
in passenger service also had Mars lights.  In the case of the F3s, the
Mars light may have been a single white bulb rather than the dual bulb
assembly found on the E8s. (I haven't been able to find a good enough
photo of a passenger F3's headlights to know for sure).

After the EL merger or as the mechanical components of the Mars
assemblies failed, they were replaced by normal headlights.  Some of the
ex-DL&W E8s also lost their trademark lower headlights (Erie E8s didn't
have them) when the nose doors were replaced for various reasons
(including wreck damage).

DL&W FTs and freight F3s were not equipped with Mars lights, but many of
these units had a red "bullseye" light (smaller than a standard
headlight) mounted in the nose door.  These gradually disappeared after
the EL merger as the older units were dropped from the roster.  I'm not
sure if any of the late-model F3s or F7s has bullseye lights; I'm
guessing not.

Additional questions:

1) Does anyone have a DL&W ETT that includes rules governing the use of
Mars lights?  If so, copying it to the group would be helpful.

2) Was the red bullseye light ever used as a marker light / tail light
(as was the case on the U34CHs and MU cars), or was it an emergency
light only?

Cheers,
Alan <quahog_@_sprint.ca>