Re: (erielack) ex EL SD-45's

Dear Al and list:

No idea about what EL units these were, but if they are being rebuilt in
Idaho (by HELM), that means Boise (the former M-K Morrison-Kundson shops),
and I will be there in two weeks. Whatever identifying information about the
units (for example, are they still in HELM lease paint) that gets unearthed
here on the list will be of use in trying to find them there.

I will try to get some pictures when I am there.  Sometimes the engines are
stored where public access for photos is easy.  Other times, access inside is
needed.  I have visited there before because the locomotive center is near
the Energy Office, and there are some 'exchange and visitation" allowances
because of the DOE-funded compressed natural gas loco work being done there
in Boise.  We will see.

For diesel locomotives, the rebuilds usually get a big Caterpillar engine or
an EMD rebuild.  It will depend on the condition of the EMD engine, and to
which emissions standard this order would be required to be rebuilt.  All
locomotives built after 1972 needing to be rebuilt after 2001 would need to
meet the newer, lower emissions standards.

With this order being rebuilt before and after the date, I do not know what
would happen.  The answer to that question will determine if the rebuild will
get a newer, cleaner CAT engine sounding quite a bit different from the
original EL version, or a rebuilt EMD.  Also, if the engines were originally
built in or before 1971, than the older engine may remain.

Now I'm excited about going to Boise.
H Haines
ELHS #1447