Re: (erielack) Ohio Mail Train

Ed ( and list)

You are no doubt referring to # 11 and 12.

I thought they ran from Youngstown to Chicago but some old EMP TT (pre 1960)
show them originating in Jamestown, NY.

Jamestown had quite a bit of head end business, right up until the end of
passenger service.  No 6 would work there for 15 minutes, No 8 for up to 30
minutes, same with the WB's.  Jamestown had an industry that did printing for
Reader's Digest, and many catalogs like Sears, Spiegel, etc.  Also, the New
Process Company was in Warren, PA, about 18-20 miles to the South.  NPC was
one of the original mail order houses for clothing.  Anyone that had an
address could get credit there.  Most of the packages left Warren (Pa.) by
truck to Jamestown and then took the EL.  They were handled  by either Parcel
Post (U S Mail)  and also REA Express, depending on the size and weight of
the parcel.

Erie RR Allegany, Meadville, Bradford and B&SW Divn TT #40 effective 4-25-48
shows #11 as follows:

DP Jamestown  950pm
DP Corry          1036pm
DP Cambridge Sps 1108pm
Meadville           1132/1142om
There is no time shown for Chicago, so perhaps the train ended at Youngstown
or Akron at that time.

Meadville              719/729PM
Cambridge Sps     749PM
Union City            807PM
Corry                   827PM
Jamestown           905PM

The train had working mail cars with a Trainman doing the work and it had REA
Cars with REAX Messengers.  Not certain about RPO's, will have to research
that.

I remember the train in Warren, Ohio in the early 60's with a GP-7 (1233 and
others) and the 1140 for heat.  I also remember it there with the 900 and
1140.  The 1140 was not toooooo reliable at high speeds, so it spent a lot of
time at Brier Hill.  Don't recall any E-8's on this train but did see PA's
when I was a kid ( a few years back).

You speak of a mid day train.........I think this train in the '60's
originated in Youngstown about 9am and worked west to Akron or Chicago during
Christmas season.  It did have a rider car---a regular Stillwell for the
crew.  There were no passenger accommodations.

Hope this helps some...........

SMT