Re: (erielack) TURNTABLE PIT NEAR GLEN ROCK

Al and All,
The right of way you saw could not have been the North Jersey Rapid Transit,
since that line crossed the Bergen County Line on a high trestle before
turning east to Broadway in East Paterson. It never came near the Main Line
east of Ridgewood. The right of way did pass thru the present day Fairlawn
industrial park where Nabisco is located (list content ;>) .
There was one trolley line in the area that I know of, the Public Service
Hawthorne Car Line Route 64 between Paterson,Hawthorne and Ridgewood, but
there is no indication on the route map published in "The Public Service
Trolley Lines in New Jersey" that that line ever got close to the Erie. The
line seems to go west out of Ridgewood, then south along the Susquehanna RR
into Hawthorne, staying well west of the Erie.
My guess is that the right of way is a spur to some long abandoned industry,
but I cannot explain the existance of a turntable pit. But then, if you were
assigned to a pusher crew in the steam days working between Ridgewood WJ and
Ramsey RM tower, where would you turn your engines?

Mike Galesi
ELHS #145

- --part1_118.ab3f6e2.296f0c14_boundary