Re: (erielack) Erie Split Mains

One of the reasons for removing the Eastbound main between Cambridge Springs
and Union City was that by doing so, it allowed the removal of two large
bridges.  Keep in mind, that this was only ONE of the reasons.  The word was
that the bridge bearings and plates were corroded, one reason was from the
dripping salt brine from refer cars. They were, like I said, on the Eastbound
and the Erie and later EL had much refer traffic Eastbound to the NYC and
Maybrook area.

I'm sure there were other factors that decided the fate of which track would
remain.  One other factor most likely was the removal of the EB main allowed
the retaining of the industry switch at Mill Village (The EB and WB were
about 1/2 mile apart here with part of the town in-between) as well as the
switch and spur at Miller's Station.

SMT