(erielack) Erie Split Mains

Dear Group,

We've discussed clearances and Erie/EL's reputation as the "high and
wide" route quite a bit.  However, I'm only familiar with the standard
width right-of-way east of Akron.

My question is, at what point did the widely-separated "split mains"
begin?  Were there places where the two mains came close together
(through towns, at grade crossings, etc.), then split apart again
through the countryside?

The Erie must have gotten a really cheap deal on land when building the
West End... but given present-day property tax rates, I can see why
Conrail would try to get rid of it, even if it had higher traffic
levels.  Too bad, really... I imagine property tax rates in Indiana pale
in comparison to those in New York State (even rural Upstate).

It was really neat to see a tower *between* the split mains on the
inside back cover of the recent issue of The Diamond... something you
aren't likely to see on any other railroad, even in the wide-open west!
Were there any other major structures (e.g. grain elevators) between the
split mains?

Cheers,
Alan <quahog_@_sprint.ca>