RE: (erielack) Palomar telescope mirror blank

My Grandfather worked on this project at Corning Glass Works and
photographed the mirror and its shipping crate being loaded into a NYC
heavy-duty well flat on the fall brook line between the factory buildings.
The mirror was loaded into the car with one of NYCs steam powered wreckers.
I don't think the shipment was any wider than any conventional freight car,
but I don't know the particulars of any height restrictions it may of had.
The disk itself was 200 inches (16'-8") in diameter.

If I have time I will pull the three photos out of the old collection and
scan them so everyone can see what the shipment looked like.
Jeremy

send replies to jferris_@_infoblvd.net