(erielack) Re: Wreck at Owego (late 1970s / early 1980s)

Below are the FRA-reportable accidents at Owego NY between 1975 and 1986.  Nothing was
noted in the EL years.  I don't know if any of the reported mileposts are near the
landmarks you mention.

On 8-17-77, CR MC-97 operating track 1 derailed at MP 233.7 on account of loose wheel.
Damages were minor (mostly track) at $41,592.  Equipment damages were ony $1,000.  It
appears the derailed car(s) did not take many other cars with it, and derailed in-line.

On 8-22-78, westbound D&H MB-1 piled up at MP 234.0    Total damages were $184,273.
Cause was speed related even though train was moving 30 mph.  Perhaps ran a slow order?

On 3-21-83, eastbound ELOI derailed 4 cars at MP 236.0.  Damages were $21,950.  Train
passed over crossover which was damaged (had been previously run through, as in sprung
through even though the switch was not a spring switch).

On 10-5-85, eastbound BUOI derailed at MP 236.0 on account of hotbox.  Total damages were
$152,500.

> In my last message to the group (re: PS&N), I mentioned a derailment on
> the EL (Erie) at Owego, adjacent to The Hickories park and the Hiawatha
> Bridge overpass over NY 17C.  I'm pretty sure it was post-Conrail (late
> 1970s or early 1980s), but not entirely certain.
>
> I have no experience researching accident reports, but I know several of
> you are quite adept at it.  Can anyone determine the date of this wreck,
> or other details that may be of general interest?

End of ErieLack Digest V3 #431