RE: Re: (erielack) Louvered FA2 diesels...

A Samostie <quahog_@_sprint.ca> wrote:

>Dear Group,
>
>James G Flynn wrote:
>>
>>         Paul, and All,
>>
>>         I'm guessing that the "head" (latrine for you army guys) was in
>> the nose.  And the screening was added for ventilation.  I read somewhere
>> that louvers seen on the PA's in later days was for that purpose.
>
>Perhaps it's an "urban legend," but it would make sense to move the head
>up there -- easier for the crew to get to, and lots of unused space
>inside
>a PA nose!  Can anyone confirm this "once and for all"????
>
>> Don't know why they removed them again though.  I hope they served their
>> intended purpose because they sure didn't do anything for their looks.
>>
>>         Jim Flynn
>>         ELHS # 2598
>>         jimbatt1_@_juno.com
>
>As for aesthetics of the modifications...
>I don't think the louvers on the sides of the PA noses did irreparable
>harm
>to their appearance.  I find the MU connection "ramp" above the
>headlights
>of the PAs and FAs (apparently used only on the Erie) takes some getting
>used to.  Ann Arbor and Wabash installed MU receptacles flanking the
>headlight, which ruined the appearance of that "nifty" Alco grille.
>
>Other than the UP's ex-PA2 gas turbine control cabs, I think NKP takes
>the
>prize for "PA butchery" by cutting a notch for the bell in the corner of
>the nose (although the bell does look kinda neat there, it messes up the
>streamlined effect).  I hope that whatshisname in Oregon (who is an NKP
>fan and plans to make "his" PA a NKP version) will leave the nose
>intact.
>
>Cheers,
>Alan <quahog_@_sprint.ca>

Friends: I'm sure if he's a true NKP fan...I bet the bell will be there! I remember seeing the Erie Pa's in Hornell for the last time. Just as my E-L sleeper came to a stop at Hornell. We went right by the shops.I begged the people I knew in the RRE in New York. The NRHS people, I met too. Please let's save a E-L PA!They looked at me in wonder......that kids a nut! Buy a engine...a diesel! These people were from the steam era. (many in these groups still are!)The railroads owned equipment not railroad clubs.That's why so much equipment is gone forever. Now these groups are springing up all over the place trying to save anything they can find. They better hurry! The four large railroads we have left are getting rid of everything they can! And, I don't think there's that much left out there.Today I've been telling my NRHS,NARP and now E-L friends "You better reach out to more young people to get as members of your group." I have heard of chapters of railroad clubs that have just died off!

The E-L guys were lucky.On the Chicago and North Western,when the train stopped or went up a hill in the country. You stood on the side walkway and hoped the A.T.C. didn't go off! Or if you had to sit down to go. And you had a good brakeman that knew the road, and you trusted him, you let him run and you went to the second unit...put a newspaper on the floor and went!These were of course, freight engines.The toilets in the nose, came about 15 years ago. The first time, I sat down and used one. I got that toilet cocktail on me! It was blue in color...perhaps the anti-freeze for the winter? Does the N.S. still issue plastic bags for it's crews?To this day do you ever hear a train tell the dispatcher...we're stopping, the engineer has to use the bathroom?Maybe they just don't go on duty..what's twelve hours when your railroading right?( Passenger service is a different case.)That's why I like Passenger railroads their more human!The're the best part of railroading. ......Lance
- --

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop_@_Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/