RE: (erielack) Erie Railroad stations & related activities NJ and NY Main Line Syracuse Unive

Re: Historic photos

> 8.) Rathbone.  What type of caboose is it on this pic:
> http://libwww.syr.edu/digital/images/e/ErieRailroad/a-139.jpg
> ? Is this an Erie one? Would there be another road that used
> this track or had rights over it?

Looks like an Erie hack to me...

> 12.) Pond Eddy / Great Bend.  These are in order from NY to
> Chicago. However, these are obviously out of place here (2
> pics past Lakewood, NY (Jamestown area)).  Notice pic of
> workers manually replacing ties.  Also, what is the caboose
> at Great Bend:
> http://libwww.syr.edu/digital/images/e/ErieRailroad/a-206.jpg
> ?  It looks like a PRR N5, but could it be?

I'm almost certain this is a very early Erie hack (I've seen photos of
similar ones dating from the late 1800's). It's definitely a wood caboose,
and I'm also pretty sure the photo predates the construction of the first
PRR N5 (1913 or so, I think?)