Re: (erielack) erie lackawanna yards

Mike:

Just off the top of my head.  This is by no means complete:

The following were all flat-switching yards associated with the Erie:

Jamestown, NY - had two yards, or one yard that was "squeezed" in the
middle.  Strictly for local switching and interchange with JW&NW.  I have
often wondered if the eastern half was used for the layover of passenger
equipment off the B&SW.  Alternatively, maybe it was used for storage?
Anybody know?  The western half (by the depot) was the bigger of the two.

Gowanda, NY (B&SW) - I'm stretching this one, but it had (has) about 4-5
tracks in it's heyday and was governed by "Yard Limits" as per the
timetable.  Strictly local switching and a helper base.

Dunkirk, NY - small, terminal yard.  Some Lake Erie dock trackage
(interesting).  Interchange with NYC and NKP.  PRR ran through here also but
I don't know if the Erie interchanged with them here.

Salamanca, NY - Division point for Allegany and Meadville Divisions.  HQ for
Alleghany Div.  Loco terminal, roundhouse.  Terminal for Dunkirk Branch and
Bradford Division trains.  Interchange with BR&P (B&O) which had a major
yard and shop in East Salamanca.  A classic railroad town in it's day.

Carrollton (Carrollton Junction), NY - small yard for Bradford Div.
interchange.  I believe Salamanca took over this traffic as time went on.

Olean, NY - local switching and interchange with PRR Harrisburg line.
Possibly PS&N, but I'm not positive on that.  I think the Shawmut ended at
the PRR station, some distance from the Erie tracks.

Bradford, PA - local switching.  Engine terminal, roundhouse; interchange
w/BR&P and other smaller lines during the oil boom.

Clarion Junction (near Johnsonburg), PA - shared with BR&P, but I think the
Erie had it's own tracks here as well.  Shared engine terminal, helper base.
Local switching.

Brockway, PA - local switching.  Engine terminal.  Collection point for Erie
coal branches in the area.  Interchange with PS&N, BR&P, and PRR.

Dubois, PA - in later years the EL had trackage rights down to this B&O
division point/yard (actually a series of small yards).

Corning, NY - local switching and Tioga Branch terminal; NYC had a local
yard right next to the Erie's. This area is now occupied by Denison Parkway
and Wegman's.  Yard later moved to Gang Mills, NY (across the river).  Still
in use today as engine terminal, crew change point, and local switching.

Avon, NY - Small yard.  Junction of Rochester Division and Buffalo Division
Attica Branch (name correct?).  Local switching.  Still used today by LA&L.

That's all for now.

- - Dave Green, ELHS #1366