(erielack) Pittsburgh, Shawmut & Northern / Owego Wreck at The Hickories

Dear Group,

I've been re-reading some EL history over the holidays.  I ran across a
reference to the Pittsburgh, Shawmut and Northern in Sheldon King's "The
Route of Phoebe Snow," p.113:

"The Pittsburgh, Shawmut and Northern Railroad made junction with the
Lackawanna at Wayland Tank, one mile west of Wayland station.  The
Shawmut, as it was known, brought coal from Pennsylvania to the DL&W.
It quit April 1, 1947."

Now, this raised a couple of questions:

1) Did the Shawmut also connect with the Erie at some point?

2) If PS&N quit in 1947, why have I seen more modern rolling stock with
the "Shawmut Line" slogan?  I think I've even seen a bicentennial unit
lettered for Shawmut.

3) I remember a wreck on the EL (Erie) at Owego adjacent to The
Hickories park and the Hiawatha Bridge overpass over NY 17C.  It may
have been any time from the mid-1970s to early 1980s.  It wasn't a huge
wreck, but I clearly remember a boxcar lettered "Shawmut Line" was
destroyed.  Does anyone know the date of this wreck?

Cheers,
Alan <quahog_@_sprint.ca>