Re: (erielack) Holiday Armchair Model Railroading

Dear Group,
Thanks for your responses so far.

Some have asked "Why Johnson City?"
Simple answer: even using "selective compression," I'm not sure I'll
ever have the space or modelling ability to adequately represent
downtown Binghamton on a layout.  That being said, I would love to
include both the Erie and DL&W Binghamton stations.  This is what I've
been thinking of as "Option 3," which is already a big jump in modelling
difficulty and space requirements from "Option 1."  Please keep in mind
(with apologies to N-scalers), we're talking HO scale here.

So, let's explore further...

Since we've gotten as far as downtown Binghamton, would it be necessary
to also include East Binghamton yard?  (I guess East Binghamton could be
considered "Option 3.5").  I'm hesitant to tackle it because even a
moderately-sized yard eats up a lot of space on an HO scale layout, and
Peco turnouts ain't cheap.  Opinions?

Now, if we've made it as far as East Binghamton, might as well go for
the "whole tamale":

OPTION 4:  DL&W Main from Clark's Summit / North Scranton to Waverly, NY
including:
- -- downtown Owego structures and trackage (DL&W Ithaca Branch, Erie Main
and LV Auburn Branch)
- -- downtown Binghamton (Erie and DL&W stations and surrounding area)
- -- East Binghamton yard
- -- one (but not both) of the great viaducts
- -- Factoryville Tunnel
- -- steep curving grade parallel to US 6/11 heading down to an invisible
staging area representing Scranton; panoramic view of Scranton on
backdrop

Don't even TRY to convince me to model Scranton... that would be a
layout in itself!

So...
I think anything beyond Option 2 (Waverly-Johnson City plus downtown
Owego) would be VERY ambitious.  Do y'all agree, or would you have the
nerve to go for Option 4?

Happy New Year!
Cheers,
Alan <quahog_@_sprint.ca>