(erielack) Two Thoughts

I just finished reading the TOFC story in "The Diamond".  I found it
as interesting as everyone else did.  One of my neighbors down the
street from me is retired from the AAR.  He said he always thought
that EL management had a "little more going for them" than most
of the other railroads.  Their creative operation of TOFC and then
containers was a bit "ahead of the curve" of everyone else in that
era.  I never knew about EL trucking.  Being an "easterner" I was
not aware of what was going on in Chicago.  I do remember that a
lot of the EL trailers seemed to have either Illinois or Indiana
license plates.  Now I know why.  Now I'm wondering what the
GMC tractors from Leasaway were painted.  Were they gray with
maroon lettering?

Secondly, the discussion of train turning.  In later years I don't
think EL turned the trains.  I've even seen e/bound pictures of the
Phoebe Snow with the sleeper and Diner behind the RPO and the
Obs/lounge at the tail.  That was taken in 1960.  On the other
hand, I can remember coming into Hoboken in the late 60s and
seeing a switcher out at West End with the "Lake Cities" consist
waiting to turn it on the wye.  Turning the trains seemed to vary
from time to time.

Ed Montgomery