   Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:26:56 -0000
   From: mack_@_chmack.com
Subject: Update on CB&Q/EL pool power

In a message in Extra 2200 South Magazine dated 12/27/69, R.A.
Eisenbrandt states that the Hammond Yard Pool is working well. Q
units that have the EL radio channel are being seen on run throughs.
Chicago 12/21/69 saw CB&Q U25C 561 mu'ed with EL SDP45 3653 (so add a
very unique type of locomotive to your Q consists). Also CB&Q GP40
179 and SD45 516 were seen on NE-97 to Chicago 12/26 (is this a Q
train or an EL train?). The post states that Q units on other runs
are rarely seen and that SD45's are the most common pooled power by
EL and Q. Interestingly, EL 3653 was built in 6/69 and was the last
SDP45 built for EL before the BN merger (the next batch of SDP45's
started coming in 7/70). The EL SD45-2's didn't start coming in until
11/72. So it looks like we could safely add EL SD45's 3601-3634 and
SDP45's 3635-3653 to the late 1960's CB&Q/EL pool trains. Final note,
I have seen shots of pure CB&Q 3 unit SD45 lashups on the EL in New
York, so the above comment about SD45's being the most common pooled
power makes sense.

Tom Mack

Message: 7