(erielack) Happy Holidays

To all concerned:

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all of our list members a very
Merry Christmas, and a safe and Happy New Year.

For all of us at ELDCPS, it has been a very productive 2001. The progress
that has been achieved by us since the project was first proposed on "The
Digest" in early spring has been due to the wonderful support we have
received from all who are interested in preserving the memory of Erie
Lackawanna, the Company's thru passenger service, and EL's Dining Car
history.

We believe that it is not only important to preserve the written history of
the EL, but also to preserve what was the physical entity as well.

This is why we have formed ELDCPS. To first preserve one of the EL Diners,
and then once again be able to offer EL Dining car service. This is not only
for many of us that remember EL thru service, but also to anyone who was not
there, and who would like to experience what EL service once was.

Yes, it is great that many of us that were there do remember. But can we pass
this on? More importantly, can we show young people what EL was all about?
What better way then to eventually have an EL passenger train sitting in
Hoboken again, with a working Diner.

That is what will be the test of time. Do we have the ability to preserve the
EL not just in print, word, and in pictures, but the physical and "culture"
of the Railroad as well? This will be our greatest challenge, and it will be
the legacy of all EL Railroaders, and the fans themselves who were there
during those glorious years.

I do not think that all of us want to be meeting in a Jersey Diner in our
Golden years, and all we have to say is, " Do you remember?", and it is only
an "Old folks" club.

I would like to mention the Confederate Air Force. They have very
successfully preserved the legacy of the Army Air Force during W.W.II. They
continue to fly many of the combat aircraft used in both the European and
Pacific theaters during that conflict. I have personally seen at one of their
shows what they can achieve. Several P-51's and P-47's escorting 3 B-17's is
an awesome sight. Watching a dozen or so Wright-Cyclone engines start at once
will not be soon be forgotten. Pilot's run out to two P-40 "Warhawk's," run
up the engines, and take off as fast as they can,  certainly brought back
memories of the "Flying Tigers."

In the years ahead, our commitment to what we want to leave, and what we want
to say about EL, will be tested.

Regards,

JJ Boehner, VP-ELDCPS
ELHS #648