(erielack) Stainless steel flues, and what ifs

Dear Josh,

Stainless steel flues?  My first reaction would be "not cost effective." Must
be the engineer in me.  What inspired you to suggest that material? Better
corrosion resistance (as obtained with the use of stainless steel) could be
achieved by several boiler water treatments that would have been less
expensive even in the 1920s.

You identified that the initial cost might be high--but the cost would have
been really high before 1938-1939 when the processing of stainless steel
changed and the cost dropped significantly.

Even in the 1960s such flues would be expensive, and were not cost effective
for most boilers below 650 psi.  Indeed, stainless steel was some of the
material used in the ACE steam locomotives designs of 1980s when they tried
to bring back powdered coal as a fuel in a fluidized bed combustion chamber.
The coal and water would have been prepackaged and stored at locations so
that these engines would possibly be refueled at many locations.  (I noticed
none of the 'what ifs" went as far as using a coal-fired loco in their quest
to continue EL into the 1980s.  The ACE (American Coal Enterprises)
locomotive(s) superstructure looked like F-45s, with a different radiator
section and a combined container car for fuel and water. I recall an article
on these back in the 1980s (maybe Model Railroader?). I colored one for EL
and another for NYSW back in the 1987 when I was working on another (diesel
fueled) mobile steam engine design using triple expansion and high pressure
steam.  Most but not all of the water was to be recycled on the ACE units,
but that is off this topic.

My initial reaction for stainless steel flues in the 1920s would have been
"not cost effective."  Also, any maintenance would be more costly because the
stainless would have been harder to work, even if replacement periods were
extended.

I am guessing that if the AMC could not find combustion chambers and siphons
cost effective, stainless steel would have been way down the list.

I do not think the economics would have changed much for locomotives in the
1930s, and internal combustion engines were making inroads by the 1940s. The
internal combustion engine was a double punch to steam because it developed
its maximum horsepower at a lower speed (20 rather than 40 mph, and what drag
freights went at faster speeds), and it significantly reduced labor and parts
required for maintenance (compared to steam).

I would need to do more checking on metallurgy, but for a mobile application
(like a locomotive), I think the stainless steel flues would need more fuel
to develop the same steaming capacity.  The lower heat transfer coefficient
(for some stainless) would combine to cut down on heat transfer, and would
require more fuel/grate area for the same power. Also, other parts of the
boiler would need to be made of stainless to take up the thermal expansion
differences.  Another problem would be that the flues and other parts would
weigh less--how much less would be determined by the design.  However, such
material would be taking weight off the drivers, and possibly reducing
traction effort.

In short, stainless steel flues may seem more practical now for a steam
locomotive, but probably not during the first half of the last century.
Recent steam locomotive designs  employed modular parts, containerized fuel
and water, and newer combustion and steam engine technology for locomotives,
as adapted from stationary power plants.

H Haines