(erielack) Re: Cortland NY DL&W TOFC Ramp Location

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "ErieLack Digest" <erielack-owner_@_lists.Railfan.net>
To: <erielack-digest_@_lists.Railfan.net>
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2001 5:32 AM
Subject: ErieLack Digest V3 #415

 Joshua Blay wrote:

> Subject: (erielack) Cortland TOFC Ramp
>
> Cortland, NY (DL&W) had a ramp, some friends and I have been trying to
> figure out where it was.  Newspaper picture from the period showed a
> Lackawanna trailer being unloaded (or loaded) onto a flat car.  Will look
> more into it over the holiday break.
>
> Joshua

This ramp was located at the eastern (Binghamton) end of a long stub-end
siding originating at a turnout just east of the Central Ave. crossing, near
the Depot, on the same side of the main as the depot.

The ramp was reached from Port Watson St. and was only about the length of
one tractor trailer rig from the street.  In the photo Joshua refers to
there is a block wall.  This was a small retail building that was directly
across from the Brewer_Tichner factory.  If memory serves from my days in
Cortland as a student ('65-'69), the building was either a florista or a
fish market.  Today the spot is ocupied by the Hess Station.

This revelation was gleaned from a series of aerial photographs taken of
Cortland in the 1950's, now at the Cortland county Historical Society.  The
building and the ramp are sheltered by a large tree and the ramp can only be
seen in the aerial view from the B&T factory side of Port Watson St.  In the
photo with a magnifying glass it is apparent that there is a empty pig-flat
up against the ramp.

Rusty Recordon