(erielack) RE: [ErieLackawannaRR] Various EL units

>    From: DH7312_35712_@_att.net
> Subject: Alco C424/425's
>
> Thanks for the help guys, I am still glad to have all 3
> versions. Speaking of paint schemes used by EL, I know
> of the NJDOT and the Bicentennial, anything else?

There were many variations of the "standard" EL scheme - nothing major (the
big ones were black/yellow, gray/maroon/yellow with maroon lettering, GMY
with yellow lettering, Bicentennial, and NJDOT for the U34CHs), but lots of
odd little quirks. I'm outlining all of these for an EL motive power book
I'm currently working on...

> What became of these units? As you an tell I am a D&H
> fan as well and I know they got some, but what about the
> rest of the group? How long did CR keep them? I do know
> that some are currently on GVT roads, 2452 and 2461 here
> in Scranton in EL paint, and 2453 in GVT paint on MA&N.I
> believe some of the BC painted M&AN units are from EL
> lineage as well.

The C425's came off lease at the end of 1975, and were sold to the British
Columbia Rwy. In western Canada. That road eventually purged itself of its
Alcos, and a majority of them were purchased by GVT.

The C424's worked on Conrail until about 1980, when they were sold. At that
point, they were scattered to the winds. 5 or 6 of them were rebuilt by GE
for the D&H as their 450-class C424m's (along with a few RDG units). Others
were rebuilt for GB&W, as well. Still others were just scrapped.

The funny thing is that a majority of the EL C424/C425 fleet is still around
almost 30 years after they were built!

	- Paul Tupaczewski