RE: (erielack) EL C347 in Marion

Maybe it's as simple as CR 21114 was ex EL 347 (per chart on G. Elwwod's
site http://www.dnaco.net/~gelwood/frt/el-crcab.html).  I don't have my
latest 'Extra Board' handy to check on the ex-EL cab that CSX had at the
Society's annual meeting in September.

Therefore if it kept its CR # and was prefixed by NYC, as all ex-CR equip.
was when it went into CSX 2- 1/2 years ago (that long already?).

I can't say this is entirely correct, but certainly a logical and plausible
rationale.

Also, it makes sense that back in '76 that CR numbered everything to fit
into the ex PC numbering series, as these units represented the overwhelming
majority of those inherited by CR.   So, using PC's series would result in
drastically smaller (maybe smallest) renumbering process (not only
physically re-# the units, but the book-keeping, computer system record
changes etc.).  I also believe, (but I'm not sure) when PC was formed in 67
or 68, that the PRR system was used for the most part (if not in the
entirety) and the former NYC & NH units were fit into the open # ranges.

Regards,

Chris