RE: (erielack) EL detour map

Pat:

Check these links out from George's site:

	http://www.dnaco.net/~gelwood/ops/detour.gif   (map)
	http://www.dnaco.net/~gelwood/ops/detour.html (chart highlighting
jcts. where detour routes could be accessed.)

  Note on the chart, that in the case of Wellsville, it mentions that an
eastbound connection could not be obtained.  The jct. with the WAG could
only (at least easily) be obtained by westbounds, as the it was a facing
point switch for west bounds.  What's ironic here is that this route would
then take them east back to Addison, where they may have come from.

The only way an eastbound could access this line, would be to either run the
power around the consist by utilizing the siding that ran through Wellsville
at the time (north of the WAG jct).  Then push the train (presumably after
relocating the 'boose on the east end of the train) east until they were
past the switch for the jct.  Then reverse direction with the locos pulling
and enter the WAG tracks.

Note the map shows the detour going to Addison.  With the way this is
directionally screwed up, I thought maybe there was a way over the WAG to
interchange with other ex B&O lines in the area to get to the BR&P around
DuBois and then proceed up the B&O / Erie towards Bradford way and then back
on the line to Salamanca.

The other detour that makes some sense here, but is not indicated would be
to take the WAG through Galeton and on to Ansonia, where it interchanged
with the NYC line to Newberry Jct. and Gang Mills. I know the WAG
interchanged there after the abandonment of the Wellsville line in 72.
However, I don't know how the plant was laid out and what obstacles to a run
through arrangement would be present.  But, however, this is an interesting
thought.

Anyway, it also shows the Addison interchange as abandoned (actually, 'void'
and 'deleted' are used) in, I believe, 61.   And it the Addison route was
designed the way you indicated, this discussions pretty much a moot point.

Thanks for info.  I didn't know anything about the WAG's profile S and E of
Newfield Jct.  Now that's a thought!  Could (and I'm speaking say 50's and
earlier), the Erie have swung onto the NYC at Newfield (or maybe it was
Ulysses) and proceeded from there to Gang Mills?

Anyway, interesting info you brought to my attention.

Thanks

Chris