RE: (erielack) Pascack Valley / NJ&NY name change?

To all concerned-

The Erie Railroad in the original form of the New York, Lake
Erie & Western Railroad took possession of the New Jersey &
New York Railroad (formerly known as the Hackensack & New
York Railroad circa 1860) on April 7, 1896 having obtained
a controlling position in their stock.  When the Erie reorganized
in 1895, it refused to renew the terminal leases for the NJ &
NY RR based on not honoring contracts made before it's
reorganization.  It raised the lease amounts so high that the
NJ & NY RR was forced to sell out to the Erie.  For over fifty
years it was known as the NJ & NY RR and ran Erie equipment.

Before the merger of the Erie & DL&W in 1960, it remained an Erie
branch. After the merger it became unofficially known as "The
Pascack Valley Line".  The official name "Pascack Valley Line"
was adopted by New Jersey Transit in 1983.  The trains that run
on this line are the only trains leaving Hoboken Terminal with
the engine power on the east end of the train.

Just a note relating to other this railroad on another string:
reported in the "Paterson Guardian" in March 1861: 'The engine
Bergen, No.3 (a 4-2-0 type) ran off the open drawbridge over
the Hackensack (river) and was buried in the river bottom.
No evidence had ever been found that it was recovered.'

Verrry interesting!!!  Anybody for digging in the Hackensack
River for a 1860's steam engine??

- -Joe Jordan