(erielack) re: Assorted thoughts

It almost seems like this is totally off topic -- unless you accept the Susquehanna as being Erie-related.. The late, loveable and greatly lamented John Treen shot pictures of WWII scout specials serving No-Be-Bo-Sco (for the uninitiated, that stood for NOrth BErgen [county, that is] BOy SCOuts).  With luck, they would get to Stillwater and then walk.  Or, they would walk from Blairstown (it was -- no, by golly! IS -- kinda northish-westish [orienteering, anyone?]).

Hiking the cable cut to the A-Trail.  I always hoped I could see the cutoff from there, but it was too far.  But, with a south wind, you could hear it!

Highways are on-topic, too, because they paralleled so many Erie or Lackawanna lines.  Did you ever notice that New Jersey had a pretty rational numbering system -- at least, at first?  There was Route 1 (corresponding to US 1);  Rte 2 (became 17 to avoid confusion at the New York state line);  Rte 3;  Rte 4;  Rte 5 (followed the trolley line from Edgewater west);  Rte 6 (became US 46) [check out US 6 as a quick way between Erie and Lackawanna, with some West Shore thrown in]; Rte 7 (anyone?  It's there); Rte 8 (ditto); Rte 9 (can you say "Jersey Shore"?);  Rte 10 (Whippany, anyone?);  and I know there is 11 and 12; probably no 13, but. . .? 14?  15 -- aha! the back way to NoBe!  I quit after 18 (New Brunswick).

We'd go toward camp, and I'd say,  "That's the Erie."  They'd say,      " Yeah, yeah, gimme a Milky Way."  I'd say, "That's the Lackawanna."  They'd say,  "Stop shoving!"  I'd say, "There's the Susquehanna."  They'd say, "How much longer?"

But look at the railroads along those roads.  That's how we chased trains, when it was an all-day affair.

Those were the (winter) days when they would call off school for the day because of snow, so we would head for Port Jervis to see what was what.  Ah, George, we miss you!

Enough from an old . . . fogey with a cold on a winter evening.

Randy Brown ELHS#16, ex-Scoutmaster, Troop 127, Cresskill