(erielack) Assorted Thoughts

A week ago yesterday, I got to visit "ground zero".  Thanks to all of
you who gave me information about the site.  There is an
emptiness there similar to what I experienced last September when
I visited the site at the Pentagon.  There was a lot of people all
around, but not a lot of arrogant attitudes.  People respected each
other.  Taking the ferry back to Hoboken I was thinking that it was
just about 34 years ago on that date that I rode the "Elmira" on
here last passage from Barclay Street.  The Imperiali ferries are
nice and face, but they bob in the river like a toy in a bathtube.  I
remarked to another older passenger that the old steam ferries
hardly even rocked in any kind of weather.  Hopefully the boats that
use the old ferryhouse, when it is restored will be a little bigger.

While all of this has been going on, I have been watching the PBS
documentary on New York.  I usually watch it in 30 minute
segments taking in as much information as I can.  There is a lot of
information on Robert Moses and his views of how a city should be
designed.  Moses's plans extended far beyond the city.  The
documentary showed a map with his plans to provide automobile
access to the city.  In it were outlines of Route 6 (now US 46) and
S-3.  (I suppose most people now just call it Route 3, but back
when I was growing up, it was S-3 for some reason).  When these
roads were constructed, in the 40's and early 50's they took a large
number of commuters away from the Erie's mainline, DL&W
Boonton Line, and the Susquehenna.  This was at a time when the
commuter equipment was at replacement age.  Only the
Susquehenna made the effort to upgrade.  With all the new roads, I
can imagine railroad management wondering how long they would
have to keep the commuter trains running.  In the late 50s there
was always the threat from the Lackawanna that all Boonton Line
passenger service would be eliminated.

Moses seemed to have no use for any form of rail transportation.
Even the New York Subways were being ignored.  He wanted
automobiles and expressways all over the place.  In the 1950s
there was a plan for the "Bergan-Passaic Expressway".  I would
imagine Moses had something to do with this.  It originally was
planned to run from the George Washington Bridge to Route 46
just west of Willowbrook.  It became I-80.

The railroad infrastructure was pretty much ignored during that
time.  The only commuter line that came close to making money
was the DL&W's M&E electrics.  There were no highways to
compete with these lines.  Even the PRR's line sufferred from the
New Jersey Turnpike.  The documentary didn't mention it, but I
suspect Moses had some input on building that road as well.

The documentary points out that what Moses never figured out was
that the more roads built, produced more cars and more traffic.  It
produced the urban sprawl and the subdivisions all over the place.
It's a fascinating piece of video that explains why the railroads
suffered the way they did in the New York area.  It also touches on
the loss of industry and the development of containerization that
made waterfront property on the Hudson less desirable.

Ed Montgomery