Re: Fw: (erielack) Re: Train Symbols, as I recall them

In a message dated 7/12/2001 8:52:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
paultup_@_lucent.com writes:

Were there any "Roustabouts" on the EL? I know the old Boonton job on the
DL&W was the "Boonton Roustabout," but in EL days it became the "Boonton
Drill" (numbers 1 and 2!)

> Here's another nebulous term: "haul" (as in Greenwood Lake Haul) - what's
> that mean, and how is a "GL Haul" different from the "Silver Lake Drill"?

Paul
The Greenwood Lake Haul would be the job that hauled the Silver Lake Drills
cars out to Forest Hills, thus the name.  The only Roustabouts on the EL, were
simple Carry overs from before the merger.  Totowa Roustabout kept it's name
for a long time, but most jobs just went by the name, with no Roustabout,
Drill, or Local. Most just got refereed to as:

Bloomer,
1st Boonton
2nd Boonton
Old Road
Dover Drill
P Burger
AC Drill
Garfield Drill
2nd Garfield
Rutherford Drill
1st 2nd and  3rd Northern
1st and 2nd NJ&NY
Hayshaker
Horn Train.
Newberg Night Haul
Middletown Drill
The Drill that worked the main line between SF and Waldwick was simple one of
the 8AM  Ford Drills down at the Ford Plant.  I forget the symbol?

Probable missed a few?
Hoboken Yard job, that ventured out on the M&E side of the RR carried on the
tradition of always requiring a road conductor, even though it was a yard job.
Commonly known as the Pusher.  Probable a very OLD TERM.

Bob