Re: Fw: (erielack) Re: Train Symbols

In a message dated 7/11/2001 12:07:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
davandli_@_ptdprolog.net writes:

> Sounds like "Ordinary" meant "Local" in EL parlance.  True?  I seem to
> > recall a "Buffalo Ordinary".  Were there any others?
> >
> > Are there any other names for locals?  I know of "Roustabout" and "Drill"
> (I
> > believe Roustabout was a Lackawanna term and Drill was an Erie term,
> > correct?).  Weren't there some locals with an "X" symbol (like X-1)?  Were
> > there other "X" trains?  Where did they go?

My opinion on the term Ordinary was a thru freight, with a thru freight crew
that did a lot of local stops at not necessarily customers, but pick ups and
drop off's at various  locations.  In short, a junk train, that the crew
usually knew one way or the other they were going to be out there for there
full allowable time.  They were at the whims of the Dispatcher, the Chief
Dispatcher and the Superintendent for that matter, on completing  any work
that needed to be done.

Yes, Roustabout was a Lackawanna term used on many, but not all local
freights.
Drill, was in general most yard jobs, and some jobs that went out of the
yard, but did a lot of drilling at certain locations.

On the Erie ( in general ) the term Drill was a little more widely used for
both yard and local freights. At least here on the East end.

Bob