Re: (erielack) Netcong (Stanhope)

- --- MONTGOMERY| ED <emontgom_@_LAN.TJHSST.EDU> wrote:
> The old Lackawanna timetables, as well as the new EL timetable
> issued when the Boonton Line and Greenwood Lake lines listed at
> least two stations with two names.  I believe this was left over from a
> time when stations were combined.  For instance Lake Hopatcong
> was listed as Lake Hopatcong (Mt. Arlington) and Netcong was
> Netcong (Stanhope).  It was a tradition that the railroad never let go.
>
> Apparently NJT saw the need for change.

As I previously cited from TABER, the name of the station was changed from
Stanhope to Netcong in 1902 when a new station (the current one) was
built.  This station is in Netcong Borough, in Morris County, and always
has been.  Stanhope is in Sussex County; neither the "Old Main" nor the
Sussex Branch go through Stanhope.  Netcong was once called South
Stanhope...  The next station up the Sussex Branch was Cranberry Lake, now
the site of a park-and-ride lot for a bus.  The Lackawanna Cutoff DOES go
through Stanhope, but there was never a station there.

There used to be a station in Mt Arlington, just east of where Howard
Boulevard is now.  That station WAS combined with Lake Hopatcong, which is
why that station showed both names.

DLW timetables from Dec 13, 1942, and Oct 30, 1955, show the station names
as Lake Hopatcong/Mount Arlington and Netcong (Stanhope).  They also list
stations at Wharton and Port Morris.  Wharton was served only by
Washington trains, not Sussex Branch trains.  Port Morris was served only
by one eastbound train from Washington daily in the morning, no westbounds!

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey

New Jersey Transit - THE WAY TO GO!!!

(I have no affiliation with New Jersey Transit.)