RE: (erielack) Erie in Upstate New York

I'll second the fact that the the neighborhood around the shops is not very
nice these days.

I grew up in Utica, and in fact, my parents grew up on Water Street when the
O&W and DL&W yards were very busy.
Years ago it was pretty safe, because I remember sitting with my Father
1950-ish by the Murray Warehouse many nights watching the NYC great steel
fleet come through.  Names like the "Wolverine", "Pacemaker" and "20th
Century Limited"  "Empire State Express" were very common.   Since my mom
has already passed away, and the statute of limitations has probably run out
by now, I also remember her telling us a long time ago, 1920-ish  how she'd
climb DL&W hoppers and throw down a couple lumps of coal during the
Depression, since they needed heat for the meager house.     She even
recalled the "blue" coal which was coal sprayed at the breaker to show
whether a coal car was tampered with between the breaker and final dealer.
Often they would walk the tracks looking for anything that spilled, or fell
out of the hoppers.

These days its a "housing development."  No more coal cars in Walter's yard
anymore that I can remember.  Safest way to see the old shops is to go North
across the Genesee St. bridge, and go down to the left by the MA&N tracks
looking North to South.  There is a road that parallels the NYC tracks that
goes back almost to the North-South Arterial, with a lot less chance of
getting a brick through the window.  You can basically see anything stored
outside the shops.

I believe that the interchange in Utica disappeared after a major wreck on
the Conrail lines just West of the Genesee street bridge.  It tore up mucho
trackage, including Walter's switch into the NYSW yard.   Conrail, being the
good guys they are, didn't put the switch back in, making access to the yard
very difficult.

I believe, and its old data, the only two Utica customers relatively busy
are the old Mohawk Container plant, now Jefferson Smurfit in New Hartford,
and McGrath Beverages in New York Mills.   Its been some time since I've
been through there, but that is my bet for biggest active customers in the
Utica area.

Good luck and be safe.

JSSW