(erielack) NY Trip

Last week I had to make a trip up to the homeland of Wayne, NJ.  I
did make a trip into New York over the EL -- Yeah, I still call it that.
Just to give you and idea that I am from the dark ages, the $7.50
ticket is a bit steep for my memories.  I remember when EL got the
approval to move the round-trip to $2.04 and I thought that was a lot.

A couple things I noticed:  The team track sideing has been rebuilt
at Little Falls.  This is the track where Beattie used to load carpets
at.  It has not been used for decades and now it is rebuilt.  I'm
wondering what NJT's Plans are for it.  I doubt there is any freight
client coming along.

The siding just east of the Peckman River bridge -- is that the only
freight customer between Little Falls and Hoboken left?

Rolling through Great Notch, I was amazed to see how much work
has taken place.  I noticed a lot of parking places at the Notch curve
and east of it along with a substantial building.  Is NJT moving the
Great Notch station?  If so, it will be rather close to Montclair
Heights.

I suppose that will be my last trip on the line east of Walnut street.
NJT seems to like the concrete ties at the new connection.  I didn't
realize such a significant cut had to be made to connect the two
lines.

What is going to happen to the existing Greenwood Lake line from
Walnut Street to Hoboken?  There's not a whole lot of need for it
aside from some passengers.  The tracks leading to the Orange
Branch were shiny.  There must be some freight activity there.
Crossing the Passaic River, I was wondering if there is any more
river traffic requiring that bridge to be swung open?  The wood
racks are in terrible shape, rotted away.  The Hackensack River
bridge seems to have more river activity around it.  Is there any
freight traffic on the east end of the Newark Branch requiring that to
remain in place?

Hoboken sure looks different with the MU shed down.  That building
appear much more substantial than it appeared.  There were some
rather large steel girders supporting it.  I noticed the area where the
turntable was is completely different as well.

The ferry building still needs a lot of help.  Are there any plans to
start running New York Waterway in to that location.

I was on the ferry.  These things are toys compared to the
"Scranton-Class" Lackawanna boats.  They hardly rocked.  New
York Waterway probably crosses the river in less than half the time
but they lack the character of the "real boats".

Ed Montgomery