(erielack) Re: Erielack Digest V2 #840

    There were two routes connecting the Graham and River Lines.  One route
consisted of the Erie's Newburg Short-Cut, which diverged from the Main Line
at Newburgh Junction and connected with the Newburgh Branch at Vails Gate
Junction.
At Newburgh, the Erie interchanged traffic with the NYC West Shore Line.
This route was severed, I understand, when the New York State Thruway was
constructed, leaving an alternate route available via Greycourt that Conrail
subsequently abandoned.

    Another route connecting the Graham and River Lines consisted of a route
that ran from Kingston to Campbell Hall over track owned by the NYC and Erie
Railroads via Mongomery, NY.  The NYC had trackage rights over Erie lines
from Montgomery to Maybrook, where a local freight interchanged traffic with
the NYNH&H.  Later, I recall that Penn Central used this route to operate
large freight trains between Maybrook and Selkirk Yards.  Sometimes,  Penn
Central crews were not qualified to
make this move and the EL furnished a set of pilots.

            Bill Sheppard