Re: (erielack) NYO&W - Erie Connection

"STGCOMM_@_aol.com" wrote:
> What is going on with that evidently abandoned rail line that (in my =

> Hagstrom's atlas) seems to start at the pier in Piermont and heads sout=
h =

 =

> Edgewater (which could be used for ferry service).

That's the ex-Erie Northern Railroad, their first rail route (of three) s=
outh
into NJ.  The tracks now run only from the NY/NJ state line south; there =
is a
fair amount of freight traffic worked fdrom the North Bergen yard.  Above=
 the
state line, it is a hiking trail.  The Northern went to the Erie's Jersey=
 City
terminal and suffered when the Erie and DLW merged.  It and the NYSW rush=
 hour
trains were the last users of the Erie terminal.  A Hoboken route was
developed; it required two changes of direction (and a 2 mile back-up) wh=
ich
took far too much time.  The commuters switched to busses.  I think servi=
ce
ended in the late 1960's.  Edgewater was a NYSW line to a coal dumper on =
the
river.  Never had passenger service.

> Also, how would trains cross the Tappan Zee Bridge and then connect wit=
h the
Hudson River Line?  Or are passengers going to switch trains? =

The proposal I have seen is a rail line OVER I-287 across Westchester to =
Rye,
with TRANSFERS to the HARLEM line near White Plains and New Haven line at=
 Rye.
 No through trains probably means few passengers.  It would be hard to ge=
trains off a bridge in this area onto the Hudson line due to elevation
differences and the lack of undeveloped land to use for the bridge approa=
ch at
a reasonable gradient.  I doubt a ramp could be built over the river.

 Gary Kazin
 DL&W milepost R35.7
 Rockaway, New Jersey

 New Jersey Transit - THE WAY TO GO!!!

 (I have no affiliation with New Jersey Transit.)

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://home=
=2Enetscape.com/webmail