Re: (erielack) NYO&W - Erie Connection

<<What is going on with that evidently abandoned rail line that (in my =

Hagstrom's atlas) seems to start at the pier in Piermont>> =

This is the Piermont branch, the original Erie mainline.  It is abandoned=

from Spring Valley east.

<<and heads south =

through Rockleigh, Closter, etc?>>

This is the Northern Branch, abandoned north of the NJ/NY state line but =
an
active CSX freight line south of there, terminating at the North
Bergen/69th Street yard.

<< It also seems like it has a branch to =

Edgewater (which could be used for ferry  service). >>

This is the NYS&W's Edgewater Branch, out of service since the mid 1980's=
. =

everything east of the tunnel is gone.  Public Service used to run trolle=
ys
to Edgewater and there was ferry service from here to 125th Street I
believe.

Tim