(erielack) Ashland RR (EL in Mansfield OH) & Bison comment

Couple things -

    Anyone know what kind of engines the operator of the Mansfield-Ashland
(OH) segment of the EL runs?  I spotted a chopnose early Geep (7 or 9)
sitting at where their former Chessie track connects to the ex-CR main; said
unit was in fresh looking black with orange frame stripe and nose stripes,
4-digit (5600 series?) number but no lettering apparent on the hood.   Based
on the colors I wondered if the W&LE had overhauled the engine; paint looked
shiny and recent if not fresh.  It was hard to see from US30 at 55 mph but I
did click off a shot with the camera, which I will post if it comes out.

It was also nice to pass over Bison on the Thruway and see most of the
tracks loaded with cars, a train working and engines visible in both
directions -

As a side note there once was an elevated (on an embankment) rail line
paralelling a section of the thruway west of the Bison overpass, along the
free segment south (highway West) of downtown Buffalo.  It's been abandoned
long enough most of the bridges have been removed with exception of one over
a river.   I don't think this was EL, I'm wondering if it was the LV or PRR
belt line that circled down SW, eventually curving back northward into Tifft
(I think the PRR connected to the South Buffalo; maps I remember show the
two dead parallel to each other).  I don't have an old enough map handy that
shows the Thruway and rail lines both -  (since this is undoubtedly not EL,
might reply off-list on this one).

Bill K.

Lehigh Valley Mail List page
http://lehighvalley.railfan.net