Re: (erielack) Two Questions

In a message dated 9/22/00 1:00:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
"mike1144_@_frontiernet.net" writes:

> First question.  There seems to have been a freight yard just south of =
>  the Beacon train station.  He told me that the yard was for interchange =
>  with the Erie in Maybrook.

Before the Poughkeepsie Bridge was built there was a prosperous carfloat
operation at Newburgh that brought Erie cars across the Hudson River to
Beacon.  Today this site in Newburgh is a boat marina, but there is still
plenty of evidence of the long-gone carferry.  The Erie / NYC line that
crosses the River Line at Newburgh that was the connection you're referring
to is still in use for one customer.

                          ....Mike