delete.  I see my name and email address below, yet nothing which accompanies
it was written by me.
Al Tillotson

In a message dated 09/15/2000 6:00:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
"erielack-owner_@_internexus.net" writes:

<< Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 07:15:34 -0400 (EDT)
 From: AL TILLOTSON <"CPLNAJT_@_NJTRANSIT.COM">
 Subject: Re: (erielack) Dunellen Railroad Days - Safety Commentary

 The assumption here is that if the magazines don't publish the photos, the
trespassers will stop taking them.  I don't think this is a reasonable
assumption.  First, I suspect that a lot of these photos are taken for the
trespasser's private collection, and that publication is not the primary
intent.  Second, I think that the incurable optimism inherent in the nature
of freelance photographers (not to mention people who stand on the track in
front of an on-coming train) would lead the trespasser to conclude that THEIR
photo would manage to get by the restriction, somehow.

While I share the concern about stupid people putting themselves and others
in danger just to get a "cool" photo, I don't think coming down on the
magazines is going to be effective in addressing that concern.

 <As long as Trains and other magazines will publish photos taken by
 <trespassers, there will be trespassers.  The magazines and calendar
 <publishers should refuse to publish photos taken on railroad property
 <unless the photographer has evidence of authority to be on the property.