RE: (erielack) Re: Dunellen Railroad days-safety commentary

Vince Lee responded:

> "As long as Trains and other magazines will
> publish photos taken by
> trespassers, there will be trespassers.  The
> magazines and calendar
> publishers should refuse to publish photos taken
> on railroad property
> unless the photographer has evidence of authority
> to be on the property."
>
> In practice, this would be next to impossible to
> implement and enforce for the editors. Recently, a
> similar instance arose in Railroad & Railfan when a
> reader raised just such an objection to an photo taken
> by one of the well known western-US photographers
> showing a train about to enter a tunnel from the
> perspective of the other end of the tunnel. It turned
> out the camera's location was well off to the side, as
> the tunnel was short, on a curve, and a long telephoto
> lens was used.

Those are "questionable" examples, where it could swing either way. Of
course, there are other shots that are fairly obvious trespassing. CP Rail
policy is NOT to allow fans into their facilities (East Binghamton, NY is an
example). But somehow fans get in there, and photos have been published. You
will, from time to time, see photos taken in "closed off" areas, and I'd be
willing to bet that those photos have not been arranged via a "legitimate
photo release."