(erielack) RE: Scanners

I own a RELM HS-20 handheld scanner.  I love this radio.  However, I don't
only scan RR radio.  I also scan all PA state govt. traffic (I work for PA
DEP), as well as local fire/EMS, the RR band, and a few other things.  The
feature I like most on the RELM is the ability to program CTCSS (or privacy)
tones.  These tones are used when multiple groups use the same frequency in
a given area.  It prevents different groups from stepping on one another.
This feature typically is not used on the RR band (with a few localized
exceptions).  I've found the RELM to be a very good performer on the RR band
(except in dense urban areas with a lot of radio comms, i.e. downtown
Philly).

The VHF Ham radio band (144-148MHZ) is also a good route to take.  Many of
the Ham radios for this band are programmable through most of the VHF band
(including RR band).  You can find relatively inexpensive ham radios
covering the VHF band.  Plus, if you travel to areas with anti-scanner laws,
a Ham license is a loophole out of trouble.

As far as finding an old operable Regency...good luck.  I looked for a long
time with no luck.

Ben R.

> Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 09:33:00 EDT
> From: "FIRETRACK_@_aol.com"
> Subject: (erielack) Scanners
>
> Haven't bought a scanner in 15 years!   I'm looking for
> recommendations on a
> hand held, easily programmable, (my last one had crystals)
> scanner with the
> kind of sensitivity needed for railfan use.  Would like
> features such as
> channel grouping, alpha display, remote antenna, ni-cad
> batteries, 12V car
> adapter . . . all the usual "stuff".   Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,   ARS

<>
<>
<> Composting is "Mulch" Better!  Attend Composting Workshops -
<>  www.dep.state.pa.us (directLINK "Composting")