(erielack) Markers for Ray Baxter

It is very sad that Ray Baxter died this week after a short bout with cancer.
  I'm told that his viewing is at the Lantermann - Allen Funeral Home in East
Stroudsburg between 7:00 and 9:00 p.m.

The son of a Lackawanna conductor, Ray finagled a job on the Erie and the
Erie Lackawanna as a deckhand on the ferryboats, and later as a railroad
policeman.  His stories are numerous of the days when the steam ferries and
tugs ruled the Hudson, and he helped answer many questions for me about the
marine operations and the Harlem Transfer.  He co-authored the hardcover
Ferries of the Hudson which so far is the definative work on the subject.
His memories were vivid and full of color.

I got to know Ray through his work as a founding and charter member of the
Lackawanna Chapter R&LHS, formed to help repatriate Lackawanna 4-4-0 952 and
which later obtained the restoration lease on the DL&W's Water Gap station.
Ray was almost untiring in this effort, and he organized most of meetings and
the work sessions on the depot until moving to live with his daughter in
Virginia last year.

We lost a good man this week, but his work will live on.  And I'll bet a cab
ride in a Pocono that right now he's piloting the Elmira into a slip at
Barclay Street.

                             ....Mike Del Vecchio