Re: (erielack) Strates Carnival train derails in Olean

The Strates family also owns a some fairground property down in South
Carolina, which the train visits twice a year.

They winter in Flroida, start the season in South Carolina and Maryland,
and then head up to New Jersey and Western NY.  After that, they return to
South Carolina, before going back to Florida.  This year's NJ to WNY travels
were over the NYSW via the Erie Delaware Div.

On their website, there were at least 3 unbooked dates this year.  They
ended up holding over an extra week here or there, and likewise set up
an improptu carnival on the Irondequoit mall parking lot (Rochester area)
in between two upstate NY gigs.  Given the 3 open slots, I wonder how well
the business is doing?

Most of the time they travel the Buffalo Line and go via Hargerstown.
IIRC a couple of years ago the train was involved in an incident where
the boom on a crane broke loose and rotated, taking out quite a few
lineside signals before it smacked a bridge or something.  It was
noteworthy in that CR had no spares immediately on hand to replace the
broken signals.