(erielack) Update

A short update on my status.

1.  It now appears that I will be traveling quite a bit over the next few
months.  I work computer security issues and will be providing training
and evaluations at various Air Force Materiel Command sites. The travel is
scheduled to start 10 July and run through the end of August. Actually,
this is a way to add to my 105000 frequent flyer miles.

During this period, new material being added to my WEB site will be very
limited (no more 3-5 meg days). I normally do textual items while on
trips, so, I expect that I will be adding more Book of Rules, timetables
and other such materials.  I OCR before I leave and spend the evenings
doing the tagging.  Note, I hand tag everything as the HTML generation
programs tend to create large files. The schedule will permit trips home
most weekends so I would expect to drop whatever I can on line at that
time.

2.  I am scanning and placing on line a set of photos from Greg
Dickinson.  I am working against several problems to get these on
line.  The photos have a color shift and trying to get this corrected has
not been easy. My software requires a gray area as a sample. No, the EL
gray doesn't appear to work. The second problem is that the surface of the
photos is matted. The non-glossy surface is picked up by the scanners as
holes. I can correct some of this by using a filter but the quality drops
off. If you compare these photos to glossy surface photos from Dave (the
UP stuff), you will note the difference. This is just an explanation for
the quality. It probably would have been better to use the negatives if
available.

3. The amount of "new" Erie/DL&W/EL material for my site has been down.  I
can only add what I have. I still have 300 photos of UP
freight/passenger/MofW to add.  I also have two packages that I haven't
opened but they don't contain any EL material. I would guess B&LE/Union in
one and B&O in the other.  I also have the rest of Gary Steubben's 1955
negatives to scan, mostly NYC early diesels, electric, and the last of the
steam.

I do the best I can with the available time. Now that Paul has a house,
I'm sure he has discovered the joy of cutting grass and other such
items.  The honey-do projects also increase during the summer (Paul, this
is coming down the line).  I even have time to go a Cincinnati Reds
baseball game. Watch for me if the game is on national TV. My seats are
next to the TV cameras. I even wear my EL golf shirt to some games.

George Elwood
http://www.dnaco.net/~gelwood