Re: (erielack) AMTRAK F-40s for Pocono service? AEM7ACs Anyone?

"Inlinebob_@_aol.com" wrote:

> Amtrak service makes no sens in Hobken, you are right. The whole thing
makes
> no sense without going to New York.
>
> Oh well... slow running time and a weak terminal.
>
> Government railroading anyone?
>
> :-)
>
> Rob
>
> In a message dated 6/24/00 12:14:35 PM, "RRSon239078481_@_aol.com" writes:
>
> <<
> Lackawanna AEM7ACs and NPCUs in Scranton as Hoboken has no turning areas
and
> I doubt Amtrak will route Silver Service to Hoboken when all NEC service
runs
> to  NY Penn. And also Dover Yard is too small to hold NS,NJT,and Amtrak.

Actually, Hoboken does have turning facilities at the West End Wye. Through
line
trains have been turned there before. Trains to Scranton can be turned at
Bridge
60 if the wye is still in place (I think there was a wye there? Its been a
long
time)

IMHO, Amtrak is a poor choice to run from Scranton to Hoboken if for no
other
reason then the fares would most likely be significantly higher than NJ
Transit.
NJ Transit would be a poor choice to run to Binghamton if for no other
reason
than the crew time required.

Trains from Scranton cannot get into NYP without a change of power somewhere
since, as it was mentioned here previously, a single dual powered engine
does not
have sufficient horsepower on third rail power to pull a decent train out of
the
North River tunnels and two engines increase the cost of service. We have
certainly been spoiled by direct service into the Big City but there are
physical
limits to how many trains will fit during the rush hour.

Remember how many years passengers were content to terminate in Hoboken and
take
PATH or the ferries across the river. Government railroading is not
significant
in this instance because during all those years of DL&W and EL there was no
option but to terminate in Hoboken. For those passengers who are not bound
for NY
it does not matter where the train terminates as long as the ride is not too
long
or too expensive and I have seen information (whether correct of not I don't
know) that a significant number of PA riders will get off short of the city.

Hoboken will always be a significant player in the NY commuter scene if for
no
other reason than a place to put the Midtown Direct trains when Amtrak
screws the
pooch as has happened a significant number of times. Quite frankly, I am not
particularly impressed with the manner in which Amtrak has handled NJ
Transit
trains, especially Midtown Direct and one delayed Midtown train can delay
six or
more Hoboken trains causing havoc that backs up well past the commute times.

BTW, Metro North owns two ex Amtrak F40s that run in and out of Hoboken
(4191 and
4192) and they are pieces of track trash.

Steve (planning on qualifying from Scranton when service starts)

- - --
Chauffeur to the Masses
BLE Div. 171, Hoboken, NJ
http://userweb.interactive.net/~gumby/