Re: (erielack) Meadville Line

Dear Group,

I hope you can provide some clarification on what exactly is meant by
"Meadville Line." I've always been oblivious to the Conrail vernacular
designations for the various routes because they seem so imprecise.

I always considered the New York State portion that we have been
discussing to be the western segment of the Southern Tier main, not the
"Meadville Line": that is, the Hornell- Olean - Salamanca - Jamestown
segment.

I was under the impression (apparently mistaken!) that the "Meadville
Line" only referred to the Erie trackage WEST of Jamestown, i.e.
Jamestown - Corry - Meadville - Shenango - Sharon - Youngstown.  Or, is
the portion west of Meadville actually considered to be part of the
"Youngstown Line?"  Or, does "Youngstown Line" only refer to the
Youngstown - Warren - Akron portion of the Erie main?  Or, is the
Youngstown line a former NYC or PRR route?  You can see the potential
for confusion.

The "Lehigh Line" is another one that drives me nuts, because I have no
idea whether it refers to the LV main east of Allentown, east of Jim
Thorpe, east of Pittston... ???

Cheers,
Alan <"quahog_@_sprint.ca">