(erielack) Re: Meadville Line news!

"The devil is in the details," NS spokesman Rudy Husband said today. "We
would look to
preserve rail service on the Southern Tier Extension if it made economic
sense to do so.
The taxes we pay on that line is an incredible burden that offsets any
revenue that could
be potentially generated. . . . If the state is truly interested in
preserving rail
service in that area, then tax relief is a must."

    This paragraph by itself explains why there is no more Erie RR, DL&W RR
and so on. Our governments (Federal, State & Local) tax & regulate the hell
out of the railroads and then force them to run trains that make no money on
lines that no longer generate revenue. Now they will appoint 14 welfare
recipients (and one NON-VOTING American Indian) who know nothing about
running a railroad, to make it all come together. HA!! They will supplement
those paychecks (paid by taxes) with favors and bribes and the railroad will
still just sit there. If their actual Internet was to get the railroad back
& running, they would suspend or remove the tax on the line, stop the
ridiculous regulations and just plain GET OUT OF THE WAY! I this was the
case, I am sure that (and many other lines) would be running today. In 1960,
the tax charged by the state of New Jersey was 14,000 per mile.  (see the
EL's 1st annual report). That was 40 years ago. I am sure that New York has
far surpassed that figure. Just as an example, let's use that 40 year old
figure. This line would cost the railroad $2,044,000 a year without turning
a wheel. Add to that the cost of regulation, equipment and track
maintenance, labor and operating cost. You have to move ALOT of trains to
make that kind of money. I would love to see that line in regular use again,
but not at the cost of people who will not benefit from it. Just wanted to
give some insight on who "the bad guy" really is.

Blake D. Tatar
"BDTatar_@_worldnet.att.net"
Website @ http://home.att.net/~BDTatar/index.htm