(erielack) Milepost Discrepancies

I started my internship at the Cortland County Historical Society today, and
although I have volunteered many times there before I had yet to come across
track charts for the Cortland/Homer area.  That is, until today!  It was
very informative, as I plan to do a HO model of Homer sometime, but
something was a little odd.  On the charts, dated 1909, it lists the Homer
passenger station as milepost 252.02.  A littled odd because the detector
three grade crossing to the North chimes out milepost 238.  I was told that
the mileposts that Susquehanna uses are the ones Lackawanna used from
Hoboken.  So why does a station less then a half mile south have 14 more
miles?  The only thing I can think of is that the mileposts were remeasured
after the New Jersey and Hallstead Cut-Offs, although it sounds like a lot
of work.
Incidentally, among their vast picture collection they have pictures of the
bypass trains in the early 1970s from the Hurricane.  Among the units
pictured: L&HR C420s, LV 628s, LV F7s, EL U boats, GP 35s, SD45s, SDP45s,
and LV low hood Alcos.
							Joshua

		Webpage: www.oneonta.edu/~blayjk06
			Home e-mail: "jblay_@_mail.odyssey.net"