(erielack) Re: Steam Power That Never Was?

SGL,
I don't know exactly why Bob decided to go with a Northern (a Delaware in
Erie jargon), but that was his choice. He already has one of the Russian
Decapods as well as an "R" class Santa Fe. I never have asked him why the
choice, but he does have a small warehouse of steam parts. I just bought a
set of Max Gray Erie K-5a drivers ( four hole Baldwin type) and the delta
trailer for the same loco. Bob also does limited run "O" kits of Erie
prototypes. His most recent offerings have been a C-100 series caboose kit
with correct milk car trucks made just for him by Overland, as well as a
mainline Stillwell with 12 paired windows and proper top equalized trucks.
Again a custom Overland item. If I had to venture a guess I would say that
Bob really wanted an ultra modern dual service loco, and the 4-8-4 fills
the bill. Erie Berks were regularly pressed into passenger service, but
they do lack all of the most modern "Super Power" trappings. I have read
several articles over the years that state the Berks were obsolete at the
time of their construction, even though they turned in an enviable
operating record. Things like overfire jets, thermic syphons, and other
modern fire box technologies that were already well established were not
employed in their construction. Wonder if any or all of these
modernizations would have been used on a new 2-10-4 or 2-6-6-4???
Matt Forsyth