Re: (erielack) Erie and early EL Ferries

Mike -

The ferries carried cars as well as commuters.  I'm not sure of how many
cars, I seem to remember three across and eight/ten deep of automobiles on
the lower deck of each ferry.  I do know that every once in a while my
father would use the ferry for car transport to the Wall Street area.  That
would be 24 to 30 cars per ferry trip on each ferry.

- -Joe Jordan

At 01:12 PM 01/26/2000 -0500, Michael DeMeo wrote:
>Looking at some photos of the ferry service at Hoboken, and pre 1958 at
>Jersey City, got me wondering, were automobiles also cariied on the
>ferries?  Some of the ferry slips seem to have a line of cars waiting to
>board.  I always thought they just carried commuters.  Does anyone know?
>
>Mike DeMeo

>Visit the erielack photopage at http://el-list.railfan.net

Joe Jordan
mailto: "pamela_@_blast.net"