(erielack) EL GP35's

> ------------------------------
> Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:04:29 EST
> From: "VSX9000_@_aol.com"
> Subject: (erielack) EL GP35's
>
> Just saw Trackside Around Scranton......
> Who would have thought a train w/ 6 GPs on front and 3 GP 35s pushing!
> I'd have put the new power on the point. But......... there must have been
> reason.
> Lou
Lou,
  Here are a few possible scenarios, First that's the "Portland Coal train".
So if it's final destination is the power plant at Portland on the Scranton
Division. The 6 Geeps on the point might be assigned to the Division. Thus
when the train arrives at Portland Pa. two of them may be left there for the
local B&P drill at Bangor Pa. "Shops". And they all will remain on the
division because all should end up back at Scranton sooner or later. Now the
GP-35's look like they will shove the train to Pocono Summit and then they
could cut off and be back and available at Scranton for another symbol
freight latter in the day. If you let your GP-7's wander off the Division on
a road freight, say to Croxton in Jersey... You may never see them again!
Notice the first two units 1241 and 1225 are coupled nose to nose (perfect
setup for a local drill) also they are non D/B units and three out of four
behind it are D/B equipped (D/B units were not common on the NY Division)
and are handy on the mountains around Scranton.
  Now it looks like the conductor can rest comfortably because they decided
not to force 75000 hp against the knuckle of his caboose today! But this
setup requires a lengthy move if those GP-35's are really going to cutoff
somewhere and return to Scranton, Anyone know if all of these units may be
needed in Portland to help spot the train?  Also if you mix those
non-dynamic brake GP-7's and dynamic brake equipped GP-9's together don't
you loose the capability of using Dynamic brakes on the head end? I could
imagine the cloud of smoke as they rolled down toward East Stroudsburg that
day!
   Just a few ideas here, I am sure list members witnessed this train in
action and can fill us in on some DL&W / EL operations concerning that job.
It also seems the Portland Coal used a mixed bag of hoppers too!

Todd (ELHS#1318)