(erielack) Paradise cut/tunnel question.

Hello everyone!

I have a question about a picture in Carleton's Erie Lackawanna story that
has me puzzled. On page 87 there is a picture of a Pocono rounding a sharp
curve in a deep cut, supposedly east of Mount Pocono. The date was 1940.

I've been to this area and can't remember seeing any such cut. I know that
at one time there was a tunnel near Paradise that was on a very sharp curve,
and because of the curves, the line was re-aligned around the outside of the
mountain. I'm thinking that maybe this tunnel was 'daylighted' at some point
before the line was moved to go around the mountain, hence a deep cut on a
sharp curve. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a date for when this
re-alignment occured, or any evidence that the Paradise Tunnel was ever
opened up.

 Am I on the right track, or am I way of base here????

Thanks,
Steve Hay